Saturday, June 11, 2016

10-Jun-16 Weekend in Doha

My friend, Mr.H came from Dubai for the weekend.
He kindly let me stay with him at the hotels he booked, one night at Shangri La Hotel, then another night at W Hotel.

Shangri La Hotel

My friend said he booked for QAR 500 something at the hotel website.
On Thursday evening, there was a falcon keeper in the lobby, hired by the hotel, for the guests to have a close look, even hold the falcon, named Shangrila.
There was also a small tent with free sweets and Arabic coffee.

I loved the stay in the hotel and highly rated this hotel due to below points:
- the facilities were new, since the hotel was opened in February 2016
- the room is quite spacious
- the TV was big and the sound system was quite nice, can connect with BlueTooth
- the gym was quite good, large room, new and many equipment, less people, towel and water available. There was sauna also, but at the time we were there the steam one was under repair.
- the swimming pool was quite nice, with a jacuzzi
- the service was quite good, for example, the reception took time to search when we asked the name of the big tree in front of the hotel. When I said I need to warm my food, a waiter came to my room, took the Arabic sweet I want to warm up, not long the waiter came back with the sweet warmed on a new plate wrapped with aluminum foil.
- the lunch buffet at Sridan, was only QAR 99 (during Ramadan)
- it is connected to City Center Shopping Mall, very convenient

Things need improvement:
- though the room was double bed room, which was quite clear that the room is for two, there was only one single sofa available, better to have one more.
- the hotel staff is not really know the exact opening time of City Center during Ramadan.

Rotana City Center, is another hotel located just next to Shangri La, like a twin sister, since their tower looks the same.
I think they are cheaper than Shangri La, would like to try to stay next time.


Museum of Islamic Arts

I have been here many times, but first time during night time.
I think the outside looks cooler at nighttime.
During Ramadan, they open from 8pm till midnight.
Just realized, the way we appreciate the items in the museum depends on our companion :)
Comments from my friend made me look the items from different angle.


Bandar Aden, Yemeni Restaurant in Souq Wakif

Second time, I visited this yummy and cheap restaurant.
We visited about 11pm.
We ordered Salta (stew) and Chicken Ogda (similar to stew), the yoghurt salad and the big bread, and paid QAR 50.
We were too full, only ate 1 of the 2 bread given to us.


Al Halab Sweets at Souq Wakif

Originally I wanted to eat Kunafeh (the sticky dessert like mozzarella cheese with the crispy top) at the shop I went before, but they were closed, then we went to the opposite shop, named Al Halab, apparently they sell similar sweets.
We bought ice cream, and took away Arabic Sweet called Sahn Konafa Jebn (as per the receipt) and paid QAR 18 only for the sweet. The staff gave us a bottle of sweet syrup, told us to warm up using microwave for 2 minutes and put on the syrup.
I ate it for breakfast, requested the hotel staff to warm it up, and it was yummy... we can adjust the sweetness by adding the sirup.

Sridan, a restaurant in Shangri La Hotel

During Ramadan, instead of Friday Brunch, they served normal buffet lunch for only QAR 99, without drink.
The drink was not cheap, e.g. Aqua Panna 1 L, QAR 30, San Pellegrino 500mL, QAR 20, Coffee, QAR 26.
I have no idea the different between Friday Brunch and buffet lunch, looking at the price, Friday Brunch menu must be more luxurious.
There were 10 food station, like grill station, Indian station, Malaysian station (where they serve freshly prepared noodle), Moroccan, Italian, Seafood and Desserts (where there were chocolate fondue).
The food was OK, especially I like the Malaysian curry, the grilled sherry fish and the grilled tandoori chicken. I ate a lot scallops and shrimps too.


City Center Shopping Mall

Carrefour was opened as usual during Ramadan, but the dining shops were only open from 6pm.


Massage

After the lunch, we wanted to have massage.
After a quick drive around the Education City, we went to Royal Thai Men Spa, since I know they have many masseurs and we were 6.
We arrived at 5pm, since normally they open at 5, but unfortunately they only opened only from 6pm during Ramadan, so we gave up.
On the way back to City Center, we passed Ramada junction, so I asked the driver to change a bit the direction, going to Thai Snack and Qatar Massage. Surprisingly Qatar Massage opens from 1pm during Ramadan, but they had only 3 masseurs that time. Thai Snack, as usual only had 2 masseurs.
I remember I passed a Chinese massage parlour called Dragon something, after Googleing, I found the location, they called "China Dragon Body Care Center". Unfortunately, they were only 3 masseurs. They charge QAR 150.
So finally we gave up.
But later that night, my friend from Dubai and I went ourselves back to Royal Thai Men Spa.
I got the masseur named "A", a fat boy, but he did strong and good massage, the next day I felt very fresh, though during the massage I felt pain.
My friend got the masseur named "Tom" which according to him not that good.


W Hotel

Mr. H bought the second night in W Hotel for about QAR 800.
He was lucky, the hotel gave him upgrade to a Suite Room.
We were all amazed by the room.
The decoration, the large space.
There was a living room, with external toilet. So it suits for inviting many friends for a party.
There was a hanging sofa looking out the window.
The bed was surrounded by thread curtain.
The swimming pool was under construction, so the guest can go to Sheraton for the pool and the beach, Mr. H said.
The gym was large and OK, but the view from the window was ugly for the undergoing construction.


No comments:

Post a Comment